I mentioned last post that I'm doing the New Year Sewalong at SewCanShe (there's the Week 2 link). This week we cut all our fabric into strips for the blocks, and next week sewing starts! (Though I may have to jump ahead on that a little, since I just finished my pattern tests! I need something else to do!)
I'm working with 4 and 5 inch squares, precuts that I bought off of ebay almost a year ago. They've been sitting in a drawer, waiting for me to figure out something to do with them, and when I saw that the finished size of these blocks will be 4.5 inches, I thought - perfect! The small size allows me to mix and match, and throw in a few of my 2.5 inch squares, too (I don't know why I bought those, I wasn't paying attention at all!)
I have a lot of crazy prints and bright shout-y colors. I didn't pay any attention to the more traditional layouts of log cabin blocks, which feature "light" colors on one side, and "dark" colors on the other. This produces a very cool effect when put all together in a quilt, but mine have a slightly different purpose and I have a plan in mind of how I will be putting them together that will help them make sense. I don't intend for them to make a pattern together - rather, they'll stand alone and tell their own stories! Here's a little peek, though...
Besides all that, I've been working on writing a tutorial for a pattern I'm in the process of drafting! (Never mind that I haven't written the tutorial for the other pattern that I already have drafted...just have to pretty it all up.) I'll get there!