Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Jacket Story


So here's the story. I bought this jacket pattern when it was on sale, half price, a couple of weeks ago. And then I decided my girls needed rain jackets, and since this one doesn't have a hood and I'm not sure I'm talented enough yet to modify, I bought the matching hat pattern. Then I thought "Hmm, how can I do this cheaply?" 

Enter the Walmart clearance tablecloth. 

Yes, I am making my children wear tablecloths. To be fair, they will be lined with cozy flannel, and (I hope!) be very cute. It's perfect material, and so far (even though all I have done are the sleeve tabs) it actually cooperates quite well. 

I'm using a solid red for my toddler, and using a 3T so (hopefully) she can wear it for more than a few months. Although how long she'll need it, I don't know...depends on how warm or cold the winter gets! I'm planning to applique a little duck to it, but I'll definitely be testing that ahead of time - I am not experienced with appliques, and this fabric, well...I just don't know how it'll work. We'll see!
For the baby I'm making a 12 month, in a blue that has sea shells and coral all over it. She's 4 months old and in 6 month clothing, and between the 6 month and 12 month patterns, I guess I'd rather go big. 

Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop does actually have a raincoat pattern as well, and maybe I'll resort to that and spending a few more dollars on some "real" fabric if this doesn't work...but I'm determined that it's going to. 

Last night I had some fun (haha) cutting pattern pieces, and since this is a PDF pattern, I could just print it multiple times to get my different sizes - but instead, I took the extra time (and saved the extra printer ink!) to trace the pieces onto tracing paper, which I then taped down to plain old computer paper and cut out, so now I have my own patterns and I didn't have to cut the original. It takes some extra time, but printer ink is SO expensive, and that part of the process really wasn't as bad as it sounds. There's something soothing about it, and anyway, anything is better than actually cutting the pieces. I hate cutting. But it's a necessary evil.

And now some unedited (because I don't know how yet) uncooperative (because I haven't figured out the HTML-alignment-fiddly-business completely yet) pictures for you! I am going to post and run, so I can get back to my coffee, Pavarotti, and humming sewing machine!
                                                          





Top 2: Original pattern, alongside tracing and my own cutout pattern piece; the tissue paper is taped around the edges, outside the traced line, so it comes right off when cut out, and I don't have any tape sticking to my pattern to deal with!

Middle 2: My two sets of patterns - 12 m. and 3T! and the beautiful ;) red tablecloth from Walmart!

Last 3: Finally finished cutting pattern pieces from the outer fabric, now for the liner and the rectangles I have yet to measure for the bottom of the jacket!; Finally done. I had just enough yellow flannel for a liner - that tiny pile of scraps is all that was left. I made it work.

Now for my coffee, Pavarotti, and getting started!




UPDATE: The jacket story was a short one. The following night, I had it finished and had tried it on my toddler. It fit, but sadly, the fabric didn't want to cooperate, and the seams were just too weak. The first time she scraped it on something (and that WOULD happen, as she's only 2.5), it would be ripped apart. Not worth my time! I will make another jacket, in something user-friendly. A nice corduroy, maybe!







No comments:

Post a Comment